Thursday, 12 May 2011

LOW EXPECTATIONS

I wasn’t expecting much. I have read Great Expectations before but at a time when I was more into Danielle Steel than Charles Dickens (although I don’t like to dwell on that too much). I haven’t had a lot of free reading time this week but I’ve been diving into it whenever I have had an opportunity. I love the way that Pip is required to ‘play’ in front of Miss Havisham. It reminds me of when I was a six year old and I used to be taken to visit my Great Grandmother in a residential home. It was frightening enough to walk into a room which contained about thirty curious old people but then she would say ‘Go over and speak to Mrs…’ and I would be obliged to approach some formidable octogenarian and recite my times tables or perform at spelling. It was almost as uncomfortable as the whiskery suction-pump of a kiss she inflicted on me at the end of every visit. So I feel for Pip as he undergoes his ritual humiliation and I’m looking forward to turning every page.

No comments:

Post a Comment