Sunday, 1 May 2011

THE PAINTED VEIL, A STAR CALLED HENRY, WOLF HALL, THE OUTSIDER

With a few long train journeys under my belt this month (and a few long afternoons in the garden), I was able to flex my reading muscles.
THE PAINTED VEIL - W. Somerset Maugham, 1925
A beautiful, beautiful story. It made me cry, actually. D thought I’d had too much sun.

A STAR CALLED HENRY - Roddy Doyle, 1999
As a fan of Roddy Doyle I was really looking forward to this one and I wasn’t disappointed. Doyle has a talent for capturing the voice of modern working class Dublin. Here he proves he can do the same for the Dublin of almost 100 years ago.

WOLF HALL - Hilary Mantel, 2009
I’ve had this on my ‘read at some point’ list for some time and I’m cross with myself that I didn’t get to grips with it sooner. I bought it for 99p in a charity shop in Mansfield the other morning. By the end of the afternoon I had already read about 40p of it. It doesn’t make Thomas Cromwell a hero but it portrays him as a man instead of a monster and dunks you head first into the Tudor setting which surrounds his epic life.

THE OUTSIDER (L‘ESTRANGER) – Albert Camus, 1942
I had read this before but somehow I had forgotten how powerful it is. That stubborn streak. Now, who do I know who would be exactly the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment