Wednesday, 15 June 2011

BLIMEY J. REILLEY

I’m only about 100 pages in but A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is shaping up to be my best new read so far. Ignatius is not a likeable character in my view but I have to admire the way he has total conviction in his own ideas and follows his own path. I love his filing system, too.
I have always enjoyed books about the American South. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a particular favourite as, of course, is Gone with the Wind. But Ignatius J. Reilly is no Rhett Butler. There is no charm, no gallantry, no panache. Instead, however, there is brutal honesty. This is bound to come into conflict with the rules and pillars of society and I expect will cause as much havoc as Mrs Reilly’s drunk driving. Can’t wait to read on…

No comments:

Post a Comment