Saturday, 23 July 2011

THE ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR OF HORACE RUMPOLE - John Mortimer, 2007

Oh, Horace Rumpole. I used to think he was a bit of a joke. But that joke was on me. And on anyone else who does not recognise his genius. He is, quite simply, a fictional creation quite the equal of Wooster, Wimsey and Poirot; almost the equal of Holmes.
I only started watching the TV episodes a couple of years ago and was given the complete series last Christmas so I had a lot of catching up to do. Now I am going to read all the books, beginning with this one (as it was the first one I came across this week).
The Anti-Social Behaviour of Horace Rumpole is one of the later literary outings of the Great Barrister but is full of the usual idiosyncrasies which I have come to love over the past year or so.
In it, Rumpole must solve the mystery of the dead prostitute; represent the newest of The Timsons on his receipt of an ASBO and fight Soapy Sam Ballard for the right to drink and smoke in his own room in Chambers.

No comments:

Post a Comment