Friday, 29 July 2011

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY – Kazuo Ishiguro, 1989

There are certain books which you just know are going to remain with you. I make a point of reading The Great Gatsby each year and I’ve gone cover-to-cover with Gone With the Wind and Testament of Youth more times than I can count.
This week I re-read The Remains of the Day. I cannot believe that this is only the second time I have lost myself between its pages. I think I have become more familiar with the film version so felt I knew it back to front. Although the film is good, the book is much more subtle. My heart ached for Stephens, locked within his rigid set of rules; preoccupied with ‘what makes a good butler’; full of his own importance but placing it all firmly within the context of successful servitude.
I have now bought Never Let Me Go and added it to my list of summer reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment