Saturday, 23 July 2011

RICHARD III - William Shakespeare, 1591

I read this again to fit in with the current Tudor/ York theme in the books I’ve been consuming lately. It’s such a good read. If it was written today, in novel form, it would be top of the ratings. Historical Fiction is now the biggest thing in literature, according to the History Today magazine I read on the way to Derby yesterday. I love the portrayal of Richard:
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain.
It is, I read in the introduction, one of Shakespeare’s lesser plays. Yet we must surely allow it some credit for taking the version of Richard which More expounded and making it a universal truth. How many people today picture the enigmatic Richard without a hump and a withered arm (although Olivier must surely take some responsibility, too)?

No comments:

Post a Comment