Sunday, 28 August 2011

ANYTHING GOES: A BIOGRAPHY OF THE ROARING TWENTIES - Lucy Moore, 2008

This was the book I would have written if I had got my act together about fifteen years ago. I have a folder full of notes which could be Lucy Moore’s research. Not that I can say with any certainty that my finished book would be as good or, even if it was, that I could have got it published. But, back then, I had just completed my MA on women in film noir, I had watched every gangster film of the 20s and 30s and knew all I thought there was to know about Capone’s Chicago.
I have loved reading this book over the past couple of days and so many times I was thinking, yes, that’s what I would have put. But I got distracted and Moore produced this fine volume which really brings the world’s most exciting decade (in retrospect) to life. It is written in separate chapters but each links together by at least one event or character.
Perhaps it is because the time it re-creates still appeals so much to me - I have a sign on the kitchen door which says CLOSED DUE TO VIOLATION OF THE PROHIBITION ACT.

No comments:

Post a Comment