Sunday, 6 January 2013

IN THE PLEASURE GROOVE Love, Death and Duran Duran – John Taylor, 2012

I was fourteen again when I read this.  Duran Duran played such an important part in my early teens. I have been inspired to watch some of the old videos again, too. I may be making myself seem old and crabby but they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments, such a contrast from the later boy bands.
This book is John Taylor’s attempt to retell the mad days of his youth from his own point of view. I learnt much that I didn’t know at the time, particularly the extent of the drug use. But Taylor is not an author or an intellectual so it reads more like a teenage diary than an autobiography. There is little reflection or embellishment and the events seem to flash past.  
It was however, a cracking Christmas read and a very enjoyable journey back to the eighties.

No comments:

Post a Comment