Monday, 15 July 2013

THE MAN WHO BECAME SHERLOCK HOLMES, THE TORTURED MIND OF JEREMY BRETT – Terry Manners, 1997

I wanted to like this so much that I thought I did. I lent it to one of my friends and I lent it to my sister-in-law, with a personal recommendation in both cases.
Then I read it again myself this week and I was sadly disappointed. Perhaps I was so keen to read a biography of the great man that I overlooked its numerous faults.
The account of how Brett was gradually taken over by the character he is most famous for portraying is riveting. But the story is well-known.
The other revelations which, I must admit, I skirted over, are unsubstantiated and there are no references to check. No self-respecting biographer fails to list his sources. Conversations are many and substantial facts elusive.
I think I must have been seduced by the subject matter.
I read it again this week and I was shocked by how flippant I found it.

I am so sorry that I took this long to say it but Jeremy Brett deserved so much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment