Sunday, 11 August 2013

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFÉ – Fannie Flagg, 1987

Some of the tomatoes in the greenhouse weren’t ripening. I knew I’d heard somewhere that the green ones taste good fried, so I decided to look up the recipe. And good old Google led me to this.
And this is one of the best novels I have read all year. I always look out for stories from The South. They seem to have an unmistakeable atmosphere. This is no exception.
Harper Lee provides the encouraging quote on the front cover and there are many similarities with her own great work, although in this case the story is partially told through the memories of an old lady, rather than the eyes of a young girl.
The varying time scales and narration overlap wonderfully, so you read a new account and realise it is referring to the same event that was mentioned maybe 50 pages earlier.

I finished it today, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, sitting on the swinging seat in the garden. Before I knew what was happening, I was wiping the tears from beneath my sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment