Thursday, 29 August 2013

RIDE A WHITE SWAN, THE LIVES AND DEATH OF MARC BOLAN - Lesley Ann Jones, 2013 and BOLAN, THE RISE AND FALL OF A 20th CENTURY SUPERSTAR - Mark Paytress, 2006

Marc Bolan was my first love. I have a picture of me in a little white t-shirt emblazoned with his image, when I was about three years old.
Both of these are meaty, weighty tomes, researched and compiled by people who care. Either one would give a fine insight into the life of a 60s/70s musician. There are interviews a-plenty and the background to Bolan’s life is meticulously combed and presented with a big sparkly bow.

As my first hero, since I was a little girl jigging along to his chirpy pop songs, I have always retained an interest I Bolan’s music. Now, I feel as though I know more about the man itself. Although not always likeable, I can see how he became the star he was and how he fell from the great heights. And, particularly through Paytress’ book, how his music was crafted and why it retains its appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment