Sunday, 4 August 2013

THE OWL SERVICE – Alan Garner, 1967

I have loved this book since I was a child but, unlike most of my adolescent reading matter, I have returned to it about twenty times since.
I am very fond of books on the theme of history repeating itself. The old Welsh legends are brought into the present and three teenagers are trapped within the myth.
It seems timeless, the teenagers could be from any era for there is nothing to show that it is the 1960s, other than a lack of modern day equipment such as digital cameras and i-pods.

The story is of a woman made of flowers who is turned into an owl for her treachery. The magic contained in the valley renews itself as the events are re-enacted again and again, leading to betrayal and tragedy throughout the generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment