Sunday, 17 November 2013

JOHN WAYNE: THE POLITICS OF CELEBRITY – Garry Wills, 1997

I love it when someone makes the effort to present a really deep and learned appraisal like this.
Although I noticed a couple of tiny errors (such as the misnaming of Bowie’s slave in The Alamo), this did not put me off.
Wayne’s movies are discussed and placed within the context of their time and the intention of their creators. Wills makes it clear that there will be no biographical detail, other than where it impacts on the films themselves, but through this analysis of the films and Wayne’s personal response to the scripts, the directors and his co-stars, we learn a great deal about the man himself.

The other day I was thinking about buying a new book shelf, just for the very best in my collection. If I do, this one will be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment