Tuesday, 17 December 2013

GORKY PARK – Martin Cruz Smith, 1981

I came to this book via the film, which I first saw in a Belgian hotel in 1985.
The film is good but the book is so much better. The intrigue bristles through every page and the cold Russian setting is incredibly effective as a background to the grisly murder investigation.
There are also wonderful touches which carry the plot forward, such as the exceptional use of the 1812 overture. 
Arkady Renko is a great detective. There is nothing flashy about him; he has no quirks or foibles. But it is just this which makes him special. His personality does not get in the way of the story.

After nearly thirty years, I saw it on my bookshelf and had a sudden yearning to read it again. I have now ordered the subsequent novels in the series and am looking forward to picking up Arkady’s story from where I left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment