Monday, 6 January 2014

HOUSE AND PHILOSOPHY – Henry Jacoby (ed.), 2009

I love House (the series and the character).
I have always had more than a little soft spot for Hugh Laurie. Actually, I have loved him since I first saw him in an episode of The Young Ones. He was funny in A Bit of Fry and Laurie, superb as Bertie Wooster, inspired as Mr Little and fell on his feet as the only person I know, apart from Jeremy Brett, who could make a sociopath seem like Mr Darcy.
This book is, it’s true, part of a whimsical pseudo philosophical series which would make Pythagoras turn in his grave and which I would usually scoff at: Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy anyone?
Yet I read it from cover to cover and was actually impressed by the depth of the commentary. There is reference, and not in a superficial way, to John Stuart Mill, Socrates and Sherlock Holmes.

Fascinating stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment