Wednesday, 30 July 2014

LAST BUS TO WOODSTOCK – Colin Dexter, 1975

I’ve been aware of the Inspector Morse books for a long time. I’ve watched some of the adaptations on TV and have even listened to one or two as audiobooks. But this is the first one I’ve read. I picked it up for £1 the other day, choosing it over the rest as it is the first one in the series. (If you’re going to read a whole series of books, begin at the beginning.) So, will I read the other twelve? Yes, I will.
Morse’s character is more subtly portrayed than I remember. Whether this is because he is yet to be fully developed or because the television exaggerated his flaws, I’m not sure.
He is an intellectual detective from the start but even her it is Lewis who stumbles on the answer, leaving Morse to unpick and explain it.

From what I have heard there are better plots to come but as an introduction it was a good appetiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment