Thursday, 23 April 2015

PARADISE LOST Book 2; – John Milton, 1667

By re-reading this I was reviewing one of my A’ level texts from almost thirty years ago. Back then, I remember having a huge crush on Satan and I was interested to see whether, now far from my teenage years, I would see the error of my ways. But I didn’t… the bad guy was given the same attractive disposition in 1667 as he is today and Milton knew that by making Satan such a charismatic figure he would keep his readers gripped until the very end.
While the other devils argue to make the best of their lot, Satan convinces them that revenge will be sweet but knows that he will have to be the one to deliver it.

It is true that what you learn by heart in your formative years never leaves you, and I could anticipate what came next as I read the verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment