Monday, 11 January 2016

AT THE SIGN OF THE SUGARED PLUM – Mary Hooper, 2003


A few years ago, as a marker of school tests for eleven year olds, I had to assess pupils in their understanding of a section of this book. I have to say that, along with the accompanying information about the Great Plague, it scared me very much.
I found a copy of the novel, unread, in a charity shop recently (and had to wonder whether someone had bought it after taking the same test).  Actually, after reading it in its entirety, I am pleased to say that it is a far more optimistic read than I was led to believe.
Although clearly written for children, it is a very enjoyable tale and incorporates a great deal of historical accuracy.

Hannah arrives in London in 1665 to stay with her sister who owns a sweet shop. Unfortunately, she had not received the message telling her to stay away, so is forced to experience the Capital at one of the worst times in history. It is fascinating and exciting and, still, somewhat scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment