Sunday, 8 May 2016

THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV – Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1880

What a novel! Because I usually have a few different books on the go at the same time and I tend to read the shorter ones when I only have limited time available, this has taken me about a month to complete. And now I am slightly sad because I will never again have the pleasure of reading it for the first time.
At its centre is a murder. I knew this was going to happen and I watched the events which built up to it with baited breath. I suspected each and every character but still had to wait until the end to be sure. There are plots and subplots, along with discourses and discussions, taking up almost 900 pages in the edition I have.

It is an achievement for Dostoyevsky, for literature in general and for the reader who turns that last page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment