Monday, 13 June 2016

CLOCHEMERLE – Gabriel Chevalier, 1934

The story of Clochemerle has been part of my consciousness for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl my Dad was a huge fan of the Galton and Simpson TV adaptation and later, when it was available on DVD, he and my brother would watch it together. I saw it myself a couple of years ago and loved it, especially the narration by Peter Ustinov, so when I came across the novel I thought it would be worth a read.
The characterisation is what makes this special. I love the way we are given little hints about the various eccentrics at the start and then they come into their own at a later time. They are all larger than life and spectacularly comic/tragic. The splendid Justine Putet steals the show but the Beadle’s legs put up a good fight.

And it all revolves around the location of a urinal!

No comments:

Post a Comment